MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials who have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and possess shown broad application prospects in many fields. This is an in depth introduction to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material composed of M, A, X elements on the periodic table, collectively called “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, such as titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the key group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer consists of M, A, X, three of the aspects of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they may be commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding along with other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is really a new type of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements using the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M means the transition metal, A refers to the main-group elements, and X refers to the aspects of C and N. The MXene material is really a graphene-like structure obtained by the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX phases are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have a variety of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which may be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials are also utilized in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and may be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Furthermore, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which is often utilized in energy materials. For example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials with higher ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
Exactly What are MXene materials?
MXene materials are a new type of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, like the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can connect with more functional atoms and molecules, as well as a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually are the etching therapy for the MAX phase and the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties such as electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics can be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the opportunity to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and they are commonly used in energy storage and conversion. For example, MXene materials can be used electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to boost the action and stability from the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity may be used in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials bring electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, along with other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be utilized in sensing and detection. As an example, MXene materials bring gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials can also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics as well as other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. In the future, using the continuous progress of science and technology and also the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved. The subsequent aspects may become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Later on, new preparation technologies and techniques can be further explored to comprehend a much more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, but there is still room for further optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other aspects of the content may be studied and improved thorough to enhance the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have been popular in lots of fields, but you may still find many potential application areas to become explored. In the future, they could be further expanded, like in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection as well as other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in numerous fields. With all the continuous progress of science and technology and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.